Monday, July 18, 2011

God’s newest angel

Mary 3


My sweet friend Lauren lost her mother to cancer this past Friday. I can’t begin to tell you what a special woman Mary was. She was like a second mother to me. My heart is saddened that I will never get to talk to her again or hear her laugh, but I find comfort in knowing she is in a better place. I want to share a letter I gave Lauren as a tribute to her mom. Hopefully this will help everyone see what kind of person Mary was.

As the eternal optimist, I never really wanted to believe that this day would come. I really thought that a woman as courageous and strong as your Mom would live forever. But God had other plans, and I find comfort in knowing that she is at peace.

I don’t remember exactly when I first met your mom – it seems as if I’ve known her as long as I’ve known you. And even though I am sad beyond words that she is no longer here on this earth, I can’t help but smile when I think about her.

I know you hear all of the time what an amazing woman she is, but I want you to know exactly what people mean when they say that. Your mom could be described in so many ways. She was a Christian, a wife, a mom, a Mammy, a sister, a friend, a co-worker, and a stand in mother to so many – myself included. Anybody who met your mom immediately called her ‘friend’. As you know, the first thing anyone did when they saw her was give her a hug – that was her. It didn’t matter if she had known you for five minutes or fifty - five years, you were getting a hug!

Mary 2

Your mom was also a fighter unlike any person I’ve ever known. I feel confident in saying that I wouldn’t have been able to endure a tenth of what she did in her fight with cancer – and ALWAYS with a smile on her face.

She IS the most considerate, kind-hearted woman who would give anyone the shirt off of her back if she even thought they needed it. She always put everyone ahead of herself. That’s just who she was.

She was a self-proclaimed shopaholic, and proud of it! Obviously that is genetic because it has definitely been passed down! She never turned down an opportunity to go shopping – it was retail therapy that made her feel good.

Simply put, she was amazing.

Even though the last few weeks have been hard, I still have so many good memories of the time I spent with her. Several conversations we had still make me laugh. From her informing us that Sonny and Cher had a daughter who is now their son, to her admission of the ‘red dress’ she bought that she shouldn’t have spent so much money on, to her telling me (after I asked her the same question twice) “AA, you already asked me that.”

Your mom is going to be missed by so many, but I know without a doubt that everyone who knew her has happy memories that they will carry with them always. Knowing she is pain free now, in her new body she wanted, will help us through the hard times. When I find myself wondering why now, why so young, I remind myself that I already know the answer – God needed His special angel in Heaven with Him. He gave her to us for 61 years and He couldn’t go another day without her.

Thank you for sharing your mom with me. She taught me so much about how I should live my life, and I will forever be thankful that I had the opportunity to call her my friend.

Mary 1

No comments: